Saturday, September 09, 2006

"At least he died doing what he loved"

While that phrase (see title) sounds pretty good, it has really annoyed me since someone made me think about it. If someone is doing something they love, especially as a professional, they shouldn't die while doing it. To die that way means they screwed up and did something stupid. I'd rather not be remembered for that!

The reason this comes up is because I've heard/read/seen several comments that people had expected Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, to die by a croc. First, let me say that I am greatly saddened that he's gone and I feel for his poor family who had to lose him so young. From everything I viewed and read, what you saw on TV was what you got in life. What I saw was an intelligent, passionate, and good-hearted man who was fighting to make people care enough to protect the environment. I hope his message has been heard by enough people, and those who are willing to carry on the cause.

Now, back to his dying by a croc. I find that an insult! Everything that I saw about him says that he read and understood animals, especially crocs, better than humans. I really doubt that he would have died by a croc because it would have meant that he did something stupid. I think he was safer on land, and with all the variables and unpredictability of the ocean I am not terribly surpised now that it's mostly sunk in that he's gone.

I hope his family can find peace and the strength to carry on his cause. :'(

No comments: