Thursday, March 09, 2006

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I am so irritated with my Buyer Behavior instructor!!

He took a course that I was very interested in and poo-pooed the whole thing. I LOVE social science, and the nuances of marketing that persuade people to buy is what got me interested in the first place. Instead of loving it and doing well, I am hating it and pulling a D+ which is the worst (college) grade I've ever gotten. I'm not done yet so I *might* be able to pull a C-, but still...I don't even UNDERSTAND Chaucer's English, and I still managed a C in my British Literature class...I didn't understand Sadistics I or II, and I got Bs in those courses, while moving twice and dealing with someone close to me dying. But this course...UGH!

Apparently my writing style is "too objective" because I don't use I, me, we, our, myself, etc. - it's not permitted in APA format unless specified by the instructor or assignment, and I've never had an instructor require it of me. In fact "[ ] First person (“I”, “we”) generally refers to your own opinion or experience. Use third person unless otherwise indicated by the
assignment or instructor." HELLO!



GAH I AM SO FREAKING ANGRY WITH THIS DOUCHE! He didn't give ANY feedback until the beginning of week 3, which means I had already turned in 3 of 6 personal papers in that style. In week 4 we are finally getting feedback for week 2.

No bullshit, in my week 2 paper he wrote as a comment, "You have a lot of long sentences. These can be broken into several short ones and mare for a more readable paper." "Mare?" How about you proofread you DUMBASS. And WTH? Color me stupid, but I thought a mixture of short and long sentences was the mark of a MATURE paper. Does this guy read at a second grade level?

"You could be more specific" ABOUT WHAT?! And should I be as specific as you, Mr. I-Could-Win-an-Award-For-Dancing-Around-the-Question-and-Never-Answering-Anything? I ask him questions, which he takes his time answering...I asked him on Friday night/Saturday morning about comments on a team paper so that we could improve our paper that was due on Monday. I got a reply, after prodding him, on Monday at 11:45 when normal 40-hours-a-week people are working. I happened to be off on a vacation day, but STILL - my teammates weren't, and the paper was not entirely written but progressing...it's just a 1,450 word POS, it doesn't take THAT long unless you have the pickiest, most asinine, idiotic, should-still-be-working-with-chimps, random, dodgy ASSHOLE-of-a-teacher on the planet, and for all he knows we finished it Sunday and his NON-ANSWERS were no help! I said in the e-mail

"I sincerely do not understand your grading...[specific questions about the assignment]...We'll follow the rubric closely this time, but the above questions aren't really rubric-related"

and HE said (dodging the specific questions entirely):

"As for the grading, the rubrics repeat the basic issues in the syllabus that you are asked to address for the assignment. The scale lets you know what a certain level of work will generate in terms of a gradeon that issue. Complete means that you have covered the topic or answeredthe basic question posed by the issue. Excellent means that you havecompleted the answer and have demonstrated understanding by applying the conceptsto the specific situation in the assignment."

Yeah, I'm pissed. Real pissed. I don't think I would have gotten through my degree this far, with 5 classes to go, without having someone indicate to me that I need to check grammar and spelling, APA format, and oh yeah, my "sentences are too long." I and several other students have complained about his lack of feedback and unfair grading, so he's being evaluated...but it likely won't help our grades. I hope the picky bastard gets stuck at every red light he encounters, for the full cycle. And that he grows boobs and has to deal with period cramps. And has or develops a fat ass. Yeah! That should about do it. Until I think of something else!

No comments: