Saturday, September 20, 2008

What if I was 10 years old? and other ramblings

It's 12:32 on a Friday night/Saturday morning and I'm just putzing around on teh intarweb and thought it might be nice to write something. It's been a while, and it seemed like a good idea at the time...except I need a topic (yes I realize I keep changing verb tense - sue me!). The first thing I found was a 1st grade list - so here goes. I'll be Rory Gilmore and make a pro/con list :D
--------
What if I was 10 years old? (for the sake of a nice list I'll pretend I had a normal childhood)

Pros
  • No bills to worry about
  • A trip to the store is fun
  • Bike riding is the #1 source of entertainment and transportation
  • No dieting!
  • No cooking!
  • Major decisions include ice cream flavors and how long to play
  • Going to bed late is awesome
  • birthday is the favorite day of the year
  • Recess!
Cons
  • Homework. ooo. bummer
  • Rules seem oppressive / little freedom
  • School for 180 days is torture
  • Everyone tells you what to do
  • Being grounded
  • transportation is limited to mom or dad's patience or a bike
  • Not a kid, not a teenager

Memories from 10 years old
  • New baby sister / losing baby sister
  • Moving from mom's to dad's and losing my favorite teacher
  • Gaining a new teacher who had awesome activities, like:
  • King Eaton and Going West
  • Failing on State of the Week because I hated (still hate) word finds and lacked the skill to do projects which for which other kids had parental help
  • Missing too many days and serving D-hall to make up the absences and subsequently working on the zeroes I had so I could pass
  • Being grounded.......a lot
  • Writing sentences for punishment....at home
  • Reading to pass the time when grounded
  • Tearing up my math homework because I was so frustrated with my stepmother for making me do homework as soon as I got home...and then having to tape it together so I could actually do it.
  • Pouring out my watered down Kool-Aid because it was not much more than colored water (my stepmother added water to stretch it)
  • Bringing home my sandwiches and hiding them in my room - I'm not sure why I didn't just throw them away, unless I was afraid my friend would tell on me. I don't really know what I *did* eat for lunch if I didn't eat my sandwiches. Hmm.
  • Learning cross-stitch during Going West, something I still enjoy
  • Eating fried rabbit and squirrel stew, also Going West
  • Learning how to overthrow an oppressive and unpopular sovereign through King Eaton
If I could go back, I'm not really sure I would unless I could change some of the circumstances. If I did that, who knows where I would be today. *shrug*

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.