Saturday, January 16, 2010

Yahtzee

It's been a while since I posted, so I will post about our crazy adventures with Yahtzee. While Kyle and I were visiting my brother's family and my parents, we played Yahtzee. I used to love that game and hadn't played it in several years...as it turns out, I still love it. So, I used some of my Christmas money to buy it when we got home.

I had just purchased it last week and we went to visit N&S for an evening of gaming. Every other time this has meant video games, so we packed our normal gaming bag. At the last moment I said, "There's not a chance in hell they'll actually want to play this, but I'll bring it anyway," referring to Yahtzee. We have 0 history of board games, so it was really unlikely (as evidenced by my statement). As it turns out, I wasn't the only one who loved it and S wanted to give it a go.

We played 3 games with the normal rules and then it got crazy. Kyle made up a "Speed Yahtzee" house rule whereby one person rolls their normal turn but at the end, all the players must score it on their card. It goes much faster because there are 13 turns total, not 13 per person. It's also insane because you would think it would be impossible to score differently. However, when I take a full house, someone else might take 3 of a kind and yet another might take one of the numbers...so it turns out weird. Last week we ended up playing 9 games of that because it was so fun - in addition to the 3 regular games.

We were there again tonight and we decided to try new and more insane house rules, such as: 1) Similar to Speed Yahtzee but with one roll per turn; everyone scores based on one roll and this translates to a LOT of zeroes on the board :) 2) Each player has to keep for one full turn (up to 3 rolls) one die from the previous player's roll. It gets pretty hairy toward the end when you have to save a number you don't need and can't use.

Anyway, it was quite a lot of fun and twice tonight I matched my card to someone else's - once with Kyle and once with S. Of all the times we played and that didn't come up, it was really strange for that to happen twice - and in a row, no less. Another time I matched S entirely except our 3 and 4 of a kind slots were reversed. I can't really explain that one!

Bonus - N had never played before and now she's a total fan too :)

In short, I love board games :)

No comments: