Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gas guzzling protests

While discussing gas prices and "supply and demand" which is supposedly affecting the price (don't get me started on that-if it were true then how are the big 3 recording record profit?!) I started thinking about gas guzzlers. Just for the sake of argument, though, I'll suspend disbelief.

It's the attitude of "It's my RIGHT as an American to drive a truck and besides, I have to pay for the gas so STFU!" that is driving me nuts. Individually, no, 1 SUV or truck with 10-16 mpg will not drive up the price. However, the number of them on the road does nothing positive for the "supply and demand" argument. If A and B, then C, If C then D; If (A) you have a 10-16 mpg vehicle and (B) you commute in traffic then (C) you use a shit-ton of gas. If (C), then (D) the supply of gas goes DOWN and the demand for gas goes UP. Which drives the price up...

Anyway, for those of us who either have a good mpg vehicle or carpool, we should be rather pissed about the ones who are driving down supply and driving up price.

What would happen if we were to picket and yell at people who have gas guzzling vehicles that are NOT used for something like, perhaps, farm work as they were intended (great big trucks like F-250 which can haul a ton, literally, of whatever you want).

There are some people who are morally against abortion who will picket a clinic and tell the mothers that they are horrible people and going to hell and that they're killing babies...what would happen if we did the same to people who are wasting gas? How about I take out a billboard that shows a picture of a gas guzzler and a child starving to death because his/her parent can't afford the gas to work?

First, it wouldn't be well received because "It's my RIGHT as an American...." and that's infringing on my rights! "You can't tell me what to do with MY OWN LIFE!" Sorry, that kinda falls on deaf ears here since that's not a mother's right. And of course there's no profit motive to promote abortion...

Anyway, I don't really have anywhere else to go with this right now. Just wanted to put it out there!

No comments: