Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Biggest Loser: Couples, Season 5

OK, I am typically not one to watch "new" shows (I did have a brief stint where I did, and most of them have since been canceled*). So, it's not terribly surprising that it's taken 5 seasons for me to succumb to the wonders of Biggest Loser (or as my brother-in-law has named it, World's Fattest Asshole). I saw one challenge early in with the see-saw challenge, but I didn't really start watching it religiously until after Mark and Ali came back. I guess that means I watched it for 4 episodes or so?

Anyway, it's been really good. And the best part?

ALI WAS THE FIRST GIRL BIGGEST LOSER!! I was kinda rooting for Kelli, but I didn't think she'd beat Roger, and she didn't. But AWESOME ALI!!

I can relate to a lot of what Ali has said about her fat being a security blanket. And, losing weight IS difficult so it's a lot easier to stay fat and "safe." But, as she said, if it wasn't hard it wouldn't feel that good.

I've been there, I've lost weight, and I've looked really great. Right now I can't remember how much weight I lost...well, I can if I do the math. But it's not really important because that was the past and I've got a bigger goal now than I did then. I am currently the heaviest I've ever been. It's unhealthy and I think it's the same problem I've had with my debt. It's not like I put on 10 pounds a week or add $1000 a month to my debt bill. It comes in (relatively) small amounts and the attitude I've had is, "well it's only 2 pounds, I'll get rid of it later with the rest of it." Yes, now it's only 2 pounds...but then I look at a quick meal (Ramen, frozen pizza, etc.) and think, "Well, with this much (I'd like to lose about 100 at this point in time) to lose, what the hell difference will 2 pounds make?" But the problem is I do this day after day, week after week.

And eventually it's another 10 pounds and I'm more depressed and I'm even harder on myself...which makes me think "screw it, it's only another pound what the hell difference will it make..."

Well, it can make a lot of difference.

It's time to make a change, though. I have a new Gazelle and (sort of) space to use it. I know that when I exercise, I pay much closer attention to my diet - "Why am I eating an 8 point item now when I just worked my ass off for 45 mins to burn that shit off?"

I have no more good excuses. It takes a lot of time, yes. But it's healthier and more cost effective if I would eat the way I know I should.

In the past I have felt like Ali - if someone doesn't like me, it was because I was fat. If I'm not fat, then it's me they don't like...but if they like me skinny and reject me fat - THAT'S NOT COOL!! I don't want those people in my life anyway.

So, it's time to cast off my security blanket and get healthy. No more excuses.







*There are a few exceptions - so far Chuck is on the air and I have watched My Name is Earl since the beginning. I think I was a Season 1 watcher of Scrubs when they put it on the air as a hopeful replacement for Friends, but I believe that is all.

No comments: